Program Manager: Future Industries Accelerator
University of South Australia
12:10 PM ACCELERATORS: University of South Australia’s Conception of the Future Industries Accelerator to Transform the Industry of Today and Seed the Industries of Tomorrow
The Future Industries Accelerator (FIA) is a $7.5 million investment from the SA Government. It is focused on creating high value jobs in South Australia and assists local industries to build their R&D capacity and accelerate growth. The FIA has been established to bridge the gap between academia and industries. In Germany 60% of people with PHD’s get recruited to work in business due to a strong understanding of the skills of academics – whereas in Australia this is below 20%.
- How companies can unlock the value of universities and navigate the university to get access to the right resources
- Creating broad and long term partnerships through mutual benefits e.g. knowledge transfer, voucher programs and access to infrastructure
- How universities are adapting curriculum to get academics more work ready and enabling transferable skills
4:40 PM Panel Discussion: How Corporations Can Drive Collaboration and Innovation Incomes By Tapping Into Academia and Education
The academia and research world provide extensive and untapped benefits for corporations looking into innovation. Both of these have access to a host of resources, funding and human capital which would be invaluable for partnerships with industry. In this session, our panelists will explore the following questions:
- What is the value of students and what are reasons for companies to incorporate them in innovation programs?
- How can we prepare undergraduates and postgraduates to be work ready?
- Where are the lines drawn for universities providing research and consultancy work?
- Are the hard yards being done by researchers and businesses reaping the rewards?